At the Crossroads: Questions That Can Make IT and the Line of Business Fall in Love in #TheDigitalMoment
By Aaron Rudger | February 11, 2015
Valentine's Day reminds us that love doesn’t always have to be as passive as we think it should be. What if two unlikely people who live in different places were brought together, inspired by the same goals? What if these two people were willing to feel more connected to each other and could do so within a short time?
IT and the line of business have long observed each other from opposite ends of the building. IT has focused on contributing technological innovations and advancements. The line of business, on the other hand, worked directly on programs and initiatives that support sales goals. What the two always had in common was a connection to drive revenue and a passion to deliver a great experience for their customers. Over the years, the proliferation of new applications, devices and sharing of information has greatly increased the connection between the two. They’ve entered the next evolution by taking a quantitative and qualitative leap into the digital experience. IT is increasingly finding their way closer to the line of business. The data they capture is becoming increasingly valuable to marketers, product owners and digital officers. For the line of business, their expertise asking the right questions that the customer cares about is a perfect complement. Together, this pair has the potential to move mountains for businesses.
Here are a few questions that can bring the groups a step closer to speak the same language:
Questions for IT
- What things do you and the line of business have in common?
- Do you make an effort to communicate with your peers in Marketing, Product and Digital? How?
- What are the things that make the business fall in love with you? Have you talked about those ideas, innovations and improvements with them?
- If you could wake up tomorrow having gained more ability to make you an even better partner to the line of business, what would it be?
- Can you translate how technology behavior influences customer behavior toward positive or negative business outcomes?
Questions for the line of business
- What things do you and IT have in common?
- Do you make an effort to communicate with your peers in Development, Quality and Operations? How?
- What are the things that make IT fall in love with you? Have shared those ideas, discoveries and competitive insights with them?
- What does IT provide to you that you feel most grateful?
- Do you understand how performance and quality either inhibit digital success or improve it?
In honor of this holiday, we’re doing a month long celebration of our favorite moments. Join in, and share in the discussion on Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #TheDigitalMoment. One lucky participant winner will receive a new GoPro!
On March 26, at Keynote Connect in San Francisco, we’ll be unveiling our fondest moment of all.